Sunday 17 April 2016

Meze, Meetings, Meals and More........

Meze, Meals, Meetings and More....

Today, Sunday, my post or blog will be a summary of the past 6 days as with summer just around the corner, time seems to be running away from me........ In November when the winter stretched before me it seemed eternal however in 2 weeks time just after our Easter (Othodox)  - we will all be up and running and have little time to think...


So after the heavy rains of the previous weekend - which were very much needed, Tuesday broke into a bright haze and has been so warm, temperatures most days from lows of 21c and today Sunday reaching 27c. Bright blue sky's mostly cloudless and very little breeze - it just feels so warm here at the moment.



The wonderful romantic Fireflies can be seen now most evenings, we had one in the bedroom the other night which actually woke me at 04.00 hrs it was flickering away, I opened the windows and shutters and I do hope it escaped and manged to join its playmates outside as I then just crashed and went back to sleep....... I love to sleep.........

Friends of ours have arrived to their home here
in the village, with the direct flights which have now started from UK destinations, so we had a little get together with amazing, as always Mezes from Ilias Taverna  www.iliastaverna.com and of course lots of wine, beer and retsina. Think we rolled home around 01.00 hours well feed and watered of course....... This was a girlie night - boys stayed at home and watched TV!!!!!


Lots of home cooking this week and trying to be good with it still being Lent. Saturday the white van arrived in the village at 11.30 am, he parks up and plays a melody of wonderful Greek tunes, welcoming all to his van.


I love the winter when I can wander up from our little village house and buy the fresh fruit and vegetables, it makes me think about planning the weekly menu which today included the large green ripe peppers and tasty tomatoes I purchased from him on Saturday.....So yes today, Sunday, its was stuffed peppers and tomatoes with Lemon potatoes and very nice too......Yes I cheated again and added Feta Cheese for a topping.  I just love Feta Cheese....... See tomorrows (Monday's) menu ......



As we approach summer I am involved with local businesses around the resort and all over Corfu. I was invited, a few days ago to see a wonderful stone built cottage recently completed in Agios Stefanos in the area known as Stousa. Having seen this cottage I now want to live there however it is a holiday let and can be found on the website I have just made for them on www.villapetracorfu.com- I now have some inspirational ideas on how to improve my own little house........ took the old man with me so he knows what I am looking for too.....


and then up-to Nikolettas for a frappe/coffee stop, lovely setting and if you need any supplies a mini-market just next door almost next to Arillas Brewery for those wanting to try out the local beers here.......




At the weekend, mid afternoon and with temperatures again being so mild I met up with some dear friends at Akrotiri Cafe, if you haven't as yet been there you must put it on your to do list if staying in resort or visiting....... A wonderful location overlooking the bays or both Arillas and Agios Stefanos, set within stylish gardens and loos to die for!!!!!! Coffee served with a chocolate cake so yummy and great service from the lovely Nikos, who work here and is the son of Landos, whom owns our local coffee shop in the village..........



From our garden again with pleasant temperatures things are just springing up around us....chives starting to flower, for the salads, bottle brush with its vibrant colours and the bunny rabbit flowers too.....

Sunday evening now so its Stuffed Peppers and Tomatoes consumed and tomorrow we will start to prepare the garden and patio area ready for summer, outdoor furniture for Al Fresco dining, clean the log fire and stack the left over wood for next November.



Enjoy your Sunday All and if you want to know how I make stuffed tomatoes and peppers just log on again tomorrow.  This receipt was handed down to me from some lovely Greek ladies I met whilst staying/ living on the mainland in Ioanina in the Epirus Area and on the island of Spetses in the Argo Saronic chain.  I am sure everyone has their own way of preparing but this is how I have interpreted theirs.....and the ole man must like it he is now fast asleep on the sofa having eaten more than enough.......





No comments:

Post a Comment